How To Switch To Natural Deodorant
By Hanna G.
September 14, 2018
If the thought of saying goodbye to anti-perspirant is making you sweat more than usual, that’s completely fine!
We’re here to guide you on what to expect when making the change and how to avoid the pitfalls of transitioning.
Sweating is absolutely normal and necessary for the body to regulate its temperature and detoxify itself.
You may find that you’re extra sweaty if you’re just switching to natural deodorant. Natural deodorants are aluminium-free, allowing sweat to flow freely.
The transition period may be uncomfortable as the body adjusts to overcompensate for the lack of sweating after its been blocked for a long time. Not to worry – the sweat actually lessens over time!
Now let’s talk B.O..
Underarm sweat is secreted by a special gland called the apocrine gland. The glands produce a fatty secretion that itself is odourless. The ‘earthy’ (or stinky!) underarm scent is actually the result of bacteria breaking down the sweat.
Switching to natural deodorants may reduce B.O. over time. This may be because ingredients in commercial deodorants like triclosan are really good at killing bacteria, good and bad, disrupting the body’s natural microbiome. After switching, the underarm is finally able to repopulate and rebalance itself.
Tips to transition to natural deodorant
- If you find yourself having to keep your arms down by mid-day, it’s time to wipe and reapply.
- Apply natural deodorant on before sleeping to allow your body to get used to it without the extreme temperature changes and stress.
- If you’re finding yourself smellier than usual try avoid certain foods that may cause stronger body odour like garlic and asparagus.
- Speed up the transition process by doing an underarm detox like dry brushing and massaging the area to help with lymph node circulation.
- Help your body detox along the way – exercise and drink more water.
- Wear more breathable fabrics like cotton.
- Apply less to prevent product buildup and avoid staining clothes.
Get Content Like This Direct To Your Inbox
Be the first to receive the latest updates, fun quizzes and other good stuff. Unsubscribe anytime.